Samuel Cook (outdated)




New information has been obtained.

Click here for the updated version of Samuel Cook.





BIRTH		Born 30 September, 1641 in Salem, Essex, Massachusetts
PARENTS	Henry and Judith Birdsall Cook
MARRIAGE	
(1)	Hope Parker, 2 May 1667, New Haven, Connecticut
		CHILDREN
1.  Samuel b. 3 Mar. 1668 in New Haven
2.  John b. 3 Dec. 1669 in New Haven
3.  Hannah b. 3 Mar. 1671, Wallingford, Connecticut
4.  Isaac b. 10 Mar. 1673, Wallingford
5.  Mary b. 23 Apr. 1675, Wallingford
6.  Elizabeth b. 22 Aug. 1677, Wallingford
7.  Judith b. 29 Feb. 1779, Wallingford
8.  Isaac b. 10 Jan 1681, Wallingford
9.  Joseph b. 25 Feb. 1683, Wallingford
10. Hope b. 27 Sept. 1686, Wallingford
		
(2)	Mary Roberts, 14 July, 1690, Wallingford
		CHILDREN
1. Israel b. 8 May 1692, Wallingford
2. Mabel b. 30 Jun 1694, Wallingford
3. Benjamin b. 8 Apr. 1697, Wallingford
4. Ephraim b. 19 Apr. 1699, Wallingford
5. Elizabeth b. 10 Sept 1701, Wallingford

DEATH	March, 1702, Wallingford

Samuel Cook was the second son born to Henry and Judith Cook in early Salem, Massachusetts. His father was a butcher, but Samuel learned the trade of tanning and shoemaking. In 1663, two years after his father died, Samuel went with a group of settlers to the new colony of New Haven, Connecticut. He lived in New Haven for seven years, during which time he married Hope Parker there in May of 1667. She was the daughter of New Haven settlers Edward and Elizabeth Parker. After she died September 27, 1686, he married Mary Roberts, also of Wallingford.

Five months after Samuel and Hope were married, settlers in New Haven applied for permission to begin a new village. In 1670 Samuel was one of the 38 planters and freemen, mostly of New Haven, who signed the Covenant setting up the government of Wallingford, 12 miles to the north and west. He set up a tannery on what became known as "Cook's Hill" or "Tan Vat Springs," out in the woods not far from his house, and became the first shoemaker in Wallingford. The tannery still exists as a historical site.

His house was built near the corner of Long High Way (Main) and Cross Highway, the only roads in town in the beginning, and near Old Colony Road running from Hartford to New Haven. The house on the corner which was next to his is now an historical site known as the Samuel Parsons House.

In March of 1702 Samuel died at the age of 61, a well respected man in Wallingford, leaving an estate of 340 pounds as a reminder that industry and thrift in America produce their rewards. Mary later married Jeremiah Howe.